Pumpkin Mac 'n' Cheese with Parmesan
What do you get when you cross a pumpkin with pasta? A pumpkin mac 'n' cheese so divine you'll wish every day was Thanksgiving!
TOTAL TIME:1 hour, 30 min.
- 1 medium (6" to 8" wide) sugar pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut to 1" cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1Â½ cups whole milk
- Â½ tsp. mustard powder
- Â½ tsp. paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. conchiglie (shell pasta)
- 1 cup fontina, finely grated
- Â¼ cup Parmesan, finely grated
- Â½ cup chevre, torn or cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
Simmer the pumpkin cubes in the stock and milk until tender, about 20 minutes. Mash the pumpkin to a puree. Stir in the mustard powder, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Set the puree aside.
Heat the oven to 350Â°F. Cook the conchiglie until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain the pasta and transfer it to a mixing bowl while hot.
Add the pumpkin, fontina, 3 tablespoons of Parmesan and the chevre to the pasta. Transfer the pasta mixture to a greased 9″ round baking dish.
Mix the butter, breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan in a bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the pasta and cover the dish with aluminum foil. Place the dish in the oven.
Bake the pasta for 25 minutes, and then take the foil off the dish. Return the pasta to the oven and bake it until golden brown and crisp, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.