Hearty Santa Fe Pumpkin Soup
This Southwestern favorite has just a hint of spiciness to help warm you up.
TOTAL TIME:30 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Â½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- Â½ Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 can (4 oz.) green chiles, diced
- 1 cup 100% apple juice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. paprika, smoked if preferred
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. (about 8 strips) frozen pre-cooked grilled chicken strips, cut cross-wise thinly
- Low-fat sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, chopped optional
In a large saucepan over medium heat, sautÃ© garlic and onions until soft.
Add pumpkin, chiles, juice, chicken broth and spices. Bring to boil and simmer 15 minutes. Add black beans and chicken.
Simmer 5-10 more minutes. Serve with low-fat sour cream and chopped cilantro (if desired).
Each recipe serving provides: An excellent source of fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and magnesium.